Friday, May 2, 2008

Past Memories - The Sweet Perfume of Little White Bells: 'Return To Happiness'


I love many things about SPRING,
but the one thing I LOVE the most are these:



These grew in the lot right next to my house when I was in high school.
Every morning in May, as I would step outside into the cool morning air, I would take a deep breath and inhale the beautiful fragrance!!! It was the best thing about the morning!! I looked forward to it every year!!


I would also pick them and set them in a vase of water on the kitchen table!They would fill the house with a wonderful scent!







Lily of the Valley
Name: Botanically known as Convallaria. Description: Little white bells arranged up a short delicate stem. Origin: First cultivated in 1420. Colour: White. Availability: Mainly April and May. Care Tips: Must not be left out of water too long. Keep cool and shaded. Trivia: Facts: Signifies a "return to happiness". Lily of the valley is much used in bridal arrangements for their sweet perfume. Traditionally associated with May 1st, especially in France where the "muguet" is handed out at special events.

How appropriate (for me!!) the meaning: 'Return To Happiness'



While searching for pics of my fav flower, I stumbled upon this.

Now this gives the flowers I already LOVE an even deeper meaning!!



Lily of the Valley

(Click above to hear music-pause or stop
the playlist player on this blog first)



I am a rose of Sharon, a lily of the valleys. Song of Solomon 2:1


Words: Charles W. Fry, 1881; first appeared in the Salvation Army's The War Cry, December 29, 1881. Fry wrote the lyrics in Lincoln, England, while working with the Salvation Army there.


Music: William S. Hays; adapted by Charles W. Fry




I have found a friend in Jesus, He's everything to me,
He's the fairest of ten thousand to my soul;
The Lily of the Valley, in Him alone I see
All I need to cleanse and make me fully whole.
In sorrow He's my comfort, in trouble He's my stay;
He tells me every care on Him to roll.

Refrain

He's the Lily of the Valley,
the Bright and Morning Star,
He's the fairest of ten thousand to my soul.


He all my grief has taken, and all my sorrows borne;
In temptation He's my strong and mighty tower;
I have all for Him forsaken, and all my idols torn
From my heart and now He keeps me by His power.
Though all the world forsake me, and Satan tempt me sore,
Through Jesus I shall safely reach the goal.

Refrain

He will never, never leave me, nor yet forsake me here,
While I live by faith and do His blessed will;
A wall of fire about me, I've nothing now to fear,
From His manna He my hungry soul shall fill.
Then sweeping up to glory to see His blessed face,
Where the rivers of delight shall ever roll.

Refrain









Oh, and BTW...guess what grew right next to the Lily-Of-The-Valley?


THIS:

Gypsophila

Name: The botanical name means "lover of chalk" - as this is the sort of soil the plant likes to grow in. Its popular name, baby's breath, gives an indication of its delicate airy appearance. Description: Gypsophila has many slender branching stems, each bearing many tiny button-shaped flowers at the ends. Origin: The plant is native to Eastern Europe, right across the continent from the Mediterranean to Siberia. It was first grown in the UK in 1759 and is still grown commercially here, as well as in Israel and Holland Colour: Gypsophila has a chalky white flower, although cream and pale pink varieties are sometimes found. Availability: All year round. Care Tips: A relative of the equally well known carnation. Newer varieties of gypsophila such as "Million Stars" are much easier to arrange as they do not become entangled. Care Tips: Keep the water clean and gypsophila will be very long lasting.

1 Add your Two Cents:

Shelly said...

my grandmother's house had lily of the valley too--it'll always make me think of her!